Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Welcome Back Everyone!

Hi everyone! I hope that all of you had a wonderful holiday season. May this new year bring you tremendous amounts of love, joy, and incredible memories. To all of the students returning to MLI, welcome back! For those of you who are just joining us, we look forward to getting to know you.

This past year, I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Japan for a year. Although living in a country where the culture and language were completely different from mine presented a unique challenge, it filled me with excitement and made me grow as a person. It has been one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life. My study abroad adventure reminded me of a quote by the Italian movie director Federico Fellini who said, "A different language is a different vision of life."

Let me end today with an interesting insight about languages. According to Ethnologue, (15th edition -www.ethnologue.com there are 6,912 living languages in the world today. In his book _English Syntax: From Word to Discourse, author Lynn M. Berk writes that English is one of only seven languages in which the main verb is required to have a subject. (Gillian [1987], cited in Lambrechet, 1994, p.191).

Till next time,
Dallen

No comments:

Post a Comment