Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Beauty of Words

Hello to everyone out there! I hope that this blog finds you in great health and the best of spirits.

Before we dive into more beautiful poetry, let’s have a quick Pidgin English lesson today. Here is a word that I'm sure you'll understand easily, since the meaning is similar in both formal English and Pidgin English. While there is a difference in usage, the biggest difference lies in the pronunciation. The word in standard English is "winner," but the word in Pidgin becomes "winna" or "winnas." Generally speaking, you would most likely say "winnas" to describe a noun. In fact, most of the time "winnas" is used to describe food as we will see in our examples.

Winnas - Amazing, great, it's a winner!

1. Joe: Ho how’s the food?
Larry: Ho the buggah is mean, especially the steak, it's winnas!

Translation: Joe: How does the food taste?

Larry: Oh it's really good, especially the steak, it's incredible!

2. Shaun: Ho I heard you wen go to dat new restaurant last night, how was? Fred: Ho was winnas!

Translation: Shaun: Hey I heard that you went to that new restaurant last night. How was it?
Fred: It was amazing!

On to our poetry! Today we will hear from our talented poet Ji Hun. So let’s get right into it with his poem called "The Girl."


The Girl

I don't know well about girls.
I can't feel some girl's minds.
You know why?
Because their mind looks like my mom.
You know why?
Because of their eyes seems like deeps rivers.
Even though we can't well speak.
I can feeling something about from your eyes.
Are you? ...
one of my favorite girls.





With that I shall wish you a farewell until we meet again...which will be soon so don't worry!

No comments:

Post a Comment